The main reason why and how our skin shows signs of aging are due to
- Sun exposure
- Depletion of hormones
SKIN & Menopause,
Dry Skin: The loss of estrogen does cause a decrease in the amount of sebum that is produced, leading to drier skin.
Estrogen plays an important role in maintaining healthy skin. For example, estrogen is responsible for stimulating the production of skin collagen, a fibrous protein that provides strength, resilience, and support to the skin and other tissues.
Itchy Skin: Menopause can often trigger skin changes like itchy skin, also known as prurtis, can trigger disruption in your life especially if it causes significant discomfort or disrupts sleep.
The most underlying cause of itchy skin is hormonal changes.
Self Care of Skin :
- Good diet ; increase intake of Omega 3 Fatty Acids.
- Increase of Vitamin B as its crucial to skin health
- Increase Water Intake: Hydrate the skin
- Moisturize the skin, Mineral oil is great and a inexpensive skin moisturizer.
- Use gentle natural soap products, which are non-irritating.
- Use of a quality broad spectrum sunscreen
- Avoid external irritants; smoke, excess sun exposure, stress and lack of sleep
Androgenic Alopecia: loss of scalp hair, this is due to the influence of the male hormone testosterone. It results in a receding hairline at the temples (aka widow’s peak) for most women as we age. In more extreme instances, women may thin in a diffuse generalized pattern across the entire scalp.
Fine Lines : Remember, you lose approximately 1% of collagen per year after the age of 40 as well as in response to the loss of estrogens, despite HRT (hormone replacement therapy). Start your products now and do not let up once you are happy with the results. It is far easier to prevent lines than eradicate them.
Unwanted Facial Hair: Yup, You too may had to deal with plucking in areas you NEVER thought you would.
Ways to keep your skin glowing during Menopause!
Building collagen and eslastic fibers is the best way to keep skin youthful
- Creams that build collagen
- Exfoliate the skin with sea salts
- Just add a little oil to your bath or shower water, ( avocado, sesame, jojoba, coconut, sea buckthorn )
- Infrared saunas
- An apple a day !
- Eat more MUFA s! Like dark chocolate ! keeps the skin moisturized with monounsaturated fatty acids
- Alternate the Humidity in your house
- Keep your shower on the cooler side, to help prevent dry itchy skin